Formed in 1987, the NorthEast Seacoast Unit is one of 46 units of the Herb Society of America. We are a 501 (c) 3 tax exempt organization dedicated to promoting the knowledge, use and delight of herbs.
The Society is interested in the history, cultivation and uses of herbs as flavoring agents; as medicinal, fragrant and dye plants; as ornamentals in garden design; as household aids, and as economic plants supplying products for modern industry. We are also committed to protecting our global environment. We encourage all gardeners to practice environmentally sound horticulture.
Our meetings are usually held in the evenings on the last Tuesday of the month in the Portsmouth, New Hampshire vicinity. Membership is open to anyone with an interest in growing and/or the use of herbs. Both experienced and novice gardeners are welcome. Our members volunteer their time and expertise to actively support the unit’s programs and projects.
• Sponsor an annual lecture series on various herbal topics held
at Strawbery Banke Museum
• Participate in a monthly Herbal Study Group (members only)
• Hold an Herb Plant Sale and Market Place offering a wide
selection of herbs and herbal products in May
• Volunteer to help maintain the Herb Garden at Strawbery Banke
• Support local public herb gardens as well as the Internship
Program at the National Herb Garden in Washington DC
• Participate in Portsmouth’s Annual Fairy House Tour in
September by building fairy houses for the herb garden.
• Fund a $1,000 horticultural scholarship for a second year
student attending UNH Thompson School
• Participate in the Strawbery Banke Museum NH Fall Festival
where we answer questions in the herb garden and help visitors
make complementary herbal sachets and tussie-mussies.